Pages

Friday, August 27, 2021

Writing

   Is Kapa Haka good for us?

Personally, Kapa Haka has been good for me. I am half Maori and I have learned more about my culture through Kapa Haka at school, than I do at home. I feel that the more I learn about myself, the more confident I am as a person. 

The thing I love most about Kapa Haka is that I am part of a group that supports each other so no one is left behind. As a team, we all learn together and I can rely on my team to help me through the practices and performance. We all feed off each others nerves and energy to perform our best and always feel a sense of accomplishment afterwards. I have formed many friendships through my Kapa Haka group at school.


Although Kapa Haka is performed as a group, there are opportunities for individual roles within. I have lead the karanga and some waiata’s which was a privilege and a real confidence booster. I gained leadership skills that has helped me become a school leader today. This is my last year to be part of my school Kapa Haka team before I leave for Intermediate so now I take on the role as a teacher to pass on my knowledge to teach the next leaders so they too can lead with confidence and be role models for the next group.


Kapa Haka is a fun and engaging way to learn te reo Maori. It’s a great way to introduce and showcase the native language in NZ schools. I have learnt basic words and phrases in te reo that has strengthened my bond with my Nana because I am able to understand her when she asks me to do something and she relishes the opportunity to teach me new words.


Overall, Kapa Haka has helped me in various meaningful ways from making friends, gaining confidence and building connections, that has positively affected the way I live and learn which is why I think Kapa Haka is good for us.

4 comments:

  1. WOW! What a great read. I like how your writing flowed from a personal perspective and how you used actual personal experiences to advocate your point. As a reader, I felt connected which most probably would help sway opinions to agree with you. Your Nana would be proud. Keep up the great mahi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi TJ
    Wow a very impressive piece of writing you have created about Kapa Haka. It has a great structure and you have organised you ideas very well so that they flow. Your passion and love for it is clear and you have supported your points with your own personal experiences which is great to see.
    Keep up the excellent work.
    Miss Hudson

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about